Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Boatload of Broccoli from the Farmer's Market

The broccoli at my local farmer's market was gorgeous, so I accidentally bought two heads even though one would have been sufficient.  There really isn't a bad way to prepare broccoli, but I decided to try two totally different recipes.  The crowns were so dense that I was able to be rather wasteful* with the stems and use only the coveted florets.


The first thing I made was an uncomplicated Alfredo with roasted broccoli.  I started by tossing the florets with minimal olive oil, salt, and freshly ground pepper: roasting them for 1/2 hour at 420 degrees. 


While the broccoli was cooking I set my pasta water to boil and began making the sauce. I used Vegan Yum Yum's Hurry Up Alfredo recipe, subbing roasted cashews for raw (it's all I had), and adding 1 tbsp agave for sweetness. I just threw everything in the Magic Bullet and it was done in a flash.

The finished dish was delicious.  I'd consider adding a tbsp of olive oil and/or perhaps another of water to the sauce next time, in order to thin in out and make it a bit creamier.  But other than that it was really good and very quick to prepare. 

Note: regardless of what you do, your leftovers will be a bit pasty.  To re-creamify, incrementally add water to the noodles while heating & stir intermittently.  It will be just as delicious, if not moreso, as leftovers.


Next up, slaw.  I think Veganaise is amazing, but the idea of mayo and broccoli just didn't seem right.  It's already too cold for a light, vinegar-based dressing, so, I checked my arsenal of Natural Kitchen Cooking School recipes and found this one for broccoli and carrot salad from a cooking class I'd taken a couple of years ago.


In the interest of using what I had in my pantry, I made a few substitutions:

  • raisins for currants
  • toasted almonds for toasted pumpkin seeds
  • blood orange juice for apple juice
You might also notice that I didn't have any carrots.  Taste-wise this didn't bother me, but it would have made the dish look prettier (thus the tomato for contrast).  I would also suggest cauliflower and/or sweet peppers for variation; the dressing is delish.


* They didn't actually go to waste; they made the local animal population very happy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these dishes. I can't wait to try the Broccoli and carrot salad. That looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)