Thursday, May 23, 2013

VEGAN LONDON: Booja Booja Hunky Punky

Isn't that fun to say?  My receipt gave me endless giggles.

After dinner at Saf we explored Whole Foods a bit.  I'd already picked up a bag of crisps before dinner, but was intent on finding something sweet for dessert; Saf's options were too fruity for my taste.

 

I found an unexpected treasure in the frozen section under "alternative ice cream"- an apt but still humorous description.


Booja Booja makes a few flavors of dairy-free, gluten-free, soya free, organic, mostly raw ice creams (as well as chocolate truffles).  This Whole Foods had only the chocolate- erm, hunky punky chocolate ice cream flavor, but of course that was a-ok by me.


I can't pinpoint exactly what it reminded of, but let me know if you figure out.  Soooo light, airy, and creamy.  It looks like it's only available abroad, which is probably a good thing.  There's a reason I don't keep Lula's in my freezer at home.


It was more than a little chilly out, so I had no reason to rush to eat it other than it was so good.  It probably deserved to be enjoyed in a much nicer setting.


London Tip: The tube stops running at midnight!  Cabs and pedi-cabs abound, but be fore-warned so you don't panic when you find a locked, metal gate between you and the station.


Still giggling.

4 comments:

  1. Great name for a dessert that makes people happy. I was expecting it to have chocolate chunks — chocolate hunks — but it sounds lovely even if it was just smooth and silky. Did it have any hunky chunks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea- generally I prefer a flavor with chunks, but there was something about the texture of this ice cream that really lent itself to the uninterrupted smoothness. I don't think they make a flavor with bits, but that's not stopping anyone from making a sundae...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the maple pecan has some pecan bits- but not very many though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smooth and airy sounds like the way I like my ice cream: more like a mousse. I can see why you might like it better than hunky chunky punky.
    Isn't everything in London slightly punky anyway?
    Dang, now I really gotta try Lulas.
    I would laugh enough just seeing Pounds on my receipt.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)