Friday, August 9, 2013

3 Brothers Farmingdale

As I was saying...since I am impatient couldn't wait for Jay Astafa to arrive with his delicious grub at the Karuna for Animals: Animal Rights and Vegfest, I decided to just go directly to 3 Brothers.



I'd only been to their previous location in Garden City, so this was my first visit to their new Farmingdale location.  When I approached, the restaurant and parking lot looked eerily similar to the original GC location that is no longer owned by the Astafa Family; I considered that I might have come to the wrong place.

wrong place!

It was dark when I entered, and there wasn't a soul around.  Then I realized I had to walk through to the pizzeria, where I was surprised to find only one customer and a small staff that all seemed intent on ignoring me.

still wrong!

When I finally got someone to acknowledge me, I asked for the vegan menu.  I was sort of relieved when I was told there was none.  I WAS in the wrong place- entirely.  Just a random, Long Island pizzeria named Three Brothers... in Bethpage: which is neither vegan or owned by the Astafas.

Luckily, some iPhone sleuthing revealed that the real 3 Brothers was about a mile and a half away. Check your navigation, people; don't let this happen to you: a pizza delay is no joke!  And then:

ding ding ding

Just what I was looking for:


The new space is bright and the dining room was crowded as expected.  The take-out business was bustling (mostly vegan orders were overheard!) and the pizza chef was extraordinarily friendly; I was definitely in the right place.


I somehow resisted the options that were available for immediate nosh, but take note if you're in the area and just want a slice.


Instead, I ordered a ton to-go.  How could I not?  I was surrounded by the sights and smells of extraordinary vegan pizza.


The dueling menus:


With every minute that passed I wanted to order something more.  Instead, I busied myself with a first: blogging right from the restaurant using my Blogger app.  I did have time to wait for my large order, so why not?  (note: publishing from my Blogger app inexplicably mis-ordered my post)

This is the grandma pizza: square pizza, tomato sauce, fresh basil, Daiya mozzarella, soy parmesan. I requested that it be made on a Sicilian pie instead of the thin crust because more dough is always appropriate.


I can smell the basil just looking at this picture!


My calzone: with cashew-tofu ricotta, Daiya mozzarella, peppers and onions.

 

If there's an appetizing way to photograph a calzone, please let me know.  In the meantime, know that it was huge and delish; I ate it with VM's marinara (coincidentally, I ate it with VM, as well).


 

Also, a large, round pie: with Daiya mozzarella, peppers and onions


Are these not the biggest Daiya shreds you've ever seen? 


A random pocket photo as I struggled to stuff everything in the car.


Why?  Because my little bit of vegan Italy...went in my trunk.


It was a long drive home with the scent of pizza wafting through the car.  You can't very well grab a slice while you're behind the wheel, so everything made it home intact.  It was worth the wait; totally delish: every morsel.

Suffice it to say I have plenty of leftovers frozen.


...because you never know when to expect a pizza emergency.


3 Brothers may have changed locations, but their food is as yummy as ever.  I know Jay Kitchen is already a catering company with plans to open a fine dining establishment in New York City, but I would implore them to consider opening an NYC 3 Brother's outpost as well.  Because eventually I'm going to run out of my stockpile.

13 comments:

  1. NO! Vegan sicilian!?!? and calzones!!!! your killing me all the way ova here, in queens. (and on a diet too might i add)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked them up and I see they have GF pizza, too. Hmmm. You New Yorkers have everything, don't you? I wonder how it compares to our Italian restaurant's GF vegan menu. I haven't tried the calzones because I always want the pizza, but maybe I should. Then we can compare photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Michelangelo might say, "Cowabunga!"

    Looks tasty, I want to hear more about this blogger app...

    ReplyDelete
  4. PoisonPuss!: it's awful; you don't want any ;-)

    Andrea: The calzones reheat particularly well. Not that I'm condoning over-ordering...

    BYOL: check it out, but be wary of the publishing order. I've been using it just for upcoming post notes since the mishap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg that calzone! Overflow. So they only have the one location now?
    Funny about the same named restaurant so close. I wonder if they get confused vegans in there often. maybe if enough people ask for the vegan menu, they'll get some ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  6. foodfeud- I should have mentioned I never even liked calzones as a non-vegan, but these are excellent. I often wonder if I, or my friends, "look" vegan. If so, and if they get the inquiry often, the faux 3 Bros were neither interested or amused. Although, when I was leaving he said, "We could make vegan food." Not really sure if it was an offer or sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! THAT PIZZA LOOKS AMAZING.

    And, two things: 1. In Philly, people *do* eat slices of pizza while driving, walking, or doing anything else, so you could give it a go next time,if you're feeling up to it. 2. I love that in the dueling menus, the vegan one says, "We have vegan desserts!" and the conventional one says, "We welcome corporate accounts!" :-)

    Yeah, I think vegan desserts are better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn, it sounds like people in Philly are much more coordinated than I am! Great catch on the menus ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby,

    Holy Moly! I need to visit 3 Brothers soon! Long Island day soon?

    PS, I really shouldn’t read your blog on my cleanse…

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Vegan Gut,
    Oh hell no! You were invited to this LI day and you missed it. You snooze, you lose, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abby,

    I take back my last comment. It was the cleanse talking, not me. However, I would like to put in a request for a taste of VM’s eggplant parm this holiday season. That would totally fancy my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Vegan Gut- HA! Well-played. I knew your city behind didn't really want to trek to Long Island! The problem with your request is that your portion has to be delivered by me...who has no self-control.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, I've been reading about this place for years and I cannot wait to visit one day. It all looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)