Thursday, August 15, 2013

My August Vegan Shop-Up Recap

A Vegan Shop-Up is always a special day; this one happened to be moreso than others.  For starters, there were Pine Box Rock Shop's famous Bloody Marys.  Yes; that's celery, lime, olive, pickled string bean, pickled okra, and a radish to indicate mine is the spicy one: all adorning the best Marys in the land served by the absolute nicest bartenders.


I overheard two guys outside saying, "This must be some kind of vegetarian food festival."  Nope, better.  It's vegan!!!


First eating stop: Gone Pie Vegan Bakery (all gluten-free).  These are their famous PBCRRBNBB: peanut butter caramel rocky road beer nut and bacon brownies, which I promise to try one of these days if I can grab one before they sell out.  So famous! 

Go Nepie!

Forgive me, it's just that VM had already amassed quite the haul for the three of us.  Of course, the mini pecan pie with chocolate frosting (and, I learned, an additional chocolate layer inside the crust).  I admit I ate three quarters of this pie; sorry, not sorry.


The mini lemon blackberry cake was so moist and full of berries that I almost didn't need the decadent icing on top.  Just kidding, it was the best part!


The apple coffeecake muffin was a special treat for VM and she loved it; thanks, Barbara!


And, the chocolate cobbler: almond/Brazil nut crust, chocolate fudge filling, sweet Brazil nut topping.  Since I'm sure you want this and more, I'll let you in on a secret: you can get it this weekend.


89: bored by the whole exciting scene (except for this part)!

 

So, we headed outside.

Cake thieves!


While they continue to expand their repertoire, I still can't drag my attention away from their buns and donuts, by which I am completely enamored.


89 quickly found a friend to lean on.


Chillin in the breeze.


Snail time!  Cinnamon Snail (as if you didn't know).

Cinnamon Snail = spontaneous hugging

Our sammies: all snuggled together in a box.


Check out my monster gochujang burger deluxe: with sauteed kimchi, arugula, pickled daikon and leeks, black sesame gomasio, and sriracha mayonnaise on grilled focaccia.  It paired SO well with my Mary I cannot even tell you.


VM did it again with her tofu-less basil pesto grilled tofu with white truffle cashew cheese, kalamata olive tapenade, arugula, and caramelized onions on garlic grilled baguette.  However, the fab lady manning the Snail suggested an avocado substitute and VM swooned.  Thanks SO MUCH, Snailette!


I seemed to have missed the strawberry almond I coveted, so instead I picked up a lemon darjeeling macaron from Sweet Maresa's.  I wanted to try the absinthe but I just didn't have the nerve.  Next time!  It's confirmed; I'm definitely a fan of these delicate cookies.


And, finally: my Treeline cheese haul.  Last time they ran out, so I only had a chance to have a taste of their exquisite product; this time I wasn't taking any chances.  As of now, there are two varieties of soft cheese and two flavors of hard; when in doubt, get one of each!  More on this soon, but hint: I. can't. stop. eating. it.


Afterwards we went for ice cream sundaes at the best ice cream shop in the universe; the fun never ends!


In fact, 89 is still recovering from all of it.

9 comments:

  1. oh! so you tried the lemon after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. areila, I did- on my way out. When I wasn't saying goodbye LOL. Still gonna try for strawberry almond, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. two things.

    First, 89 is the cutest!!! But don't tell Ennie!

    Two, is it just me, or was someone complaining about how rice wasn't healthy enough for someone's new diet...??? You live a life of extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BYOL: 2 things
    1) Of course she is!
    2) "It's the freakin weekend baby. I'm about to have me some fun..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby,

    Oh my, your Shop-Up review reminded me of all the Gone-Pie goodness I missed out on last week due to my pre-cleanse limitations. But all is not lost, I’m going to make up for lost time and binge during tomorrows, A Day for Your Health Vegetarian Street Fair. For now, I’m dreaming of brownies (and 89!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am starving looking at these photos! I enjoyed this review immensely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debby, It's such a great event that no matter which vendors are your favorite, you're sure to have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And did this sweet feast take place on just one day? It would take me a week to eat all that. Maybe two! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh lord. There are actually no words for how much I want everything. Well, I could easily pass on the avo pesto salad and the macaron, but everything else? Speechless yearning.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)