Sunday, August 4, 2013

This One Is For The Lentil Lovers

I have a lot of cookbooks, but I also have tons of recipes printed off the internet that I stash haphazardly around my house.  This one, that Foodfeud linked from My New Roots for "The Best Lentil Salad, Ever", was stuffed in my pantry where I keep the dried lentils. In my continuing efforts to eat healthfully (and clean out my pantry), I decided to make it one night instead of ordering takeout because there was "nothing" in the house to eat.


It was great!  Here were my variations:  For starters, I admit that I didn't use the Du Puy lentils.  I did, however, make sure to cook the ones I did use al dente.


I doubled the capers and subbed golden raisins for the currants.  For the dressing, I halved the oil and added a cup of orange juice.  I also doubled (at least) the mustard and spice measurements.


Served with grape tomatoes over arugula again the next day after the flavors had more time to mingle and the salad chilled, I was really pleased with the result.  Good thing, since the recipe makes a nice amount.

(the lentils didn't change color, it's just fluorescent lighting)

Note: turns out 89 really loves arugula.


I'm not sure it's the best lentil salad ever, but it's pretty fantastic and I would definitely make it again- especially for guests or a potluck.  It's the kind of seemingly simple yet complexly flavored dish that is sure to impress.


It's amazing what you can make when there's nothing in the house to eat.

6 comments:

  1. I am taking a tip from you taking a tip from me and now soaking some black beans because there really is "nothing in the house" here either.
    Glad you enjoyed it. What is the other best lentil recipe you've had??
    FWIW, I don't think I buy the Puy lentils either. But I do love currants. They're a fun addition.
    Also, props on the arugula. It's lovely and I never buy it. Haxan would never perk up like that and beg for a green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "double the capers".

    ReplyDelete
  3. foodfeud, funny you should ask; I've been meaning to blog my favorite lentil salad recipe for years and never have. Will find the original recipe, make, and post soon. I do have to get more adventurous with the staple ingredients I have in the house and currants are tops on the list: right after I finish up the golden raisins, which will take a while. OMG, the arugula! I don't know why, but I've only ever used it in warm recipes; why have I never used it in salad before? It was fabulous. Maybe Haxan will agree once it's around.

    Hannah, you and me both. It may have been closer to triple, but I didn't want to scare anyone away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checked my cupboard and found some little black lentils — are they the puy ones, I wonder? And here I thought there was nothing in the house to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)