Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Upton's Jackfruit: Bar-B-Que and Chili Lime Carnitas

I was so excited when Kittee shared her win of Upton's jackfruit from a contest on The Sexy Vegan with me, and even moreso when I received the fun care package from the company.


I was a bit trepidatious because of my last run-in with jackfruit, so I tucked it in the fridge for the time being (although refrigeration isn't required). Then one day when leaving work I was craving a hardy dinner. I remembered the bar-B-que jackfruit, so I stopped off to pick up a beauteaous roll on my way home. While I was in the HFS it occurred to me that I needed slaw. I'll be honest, from the prepared section I glanced over at the produce: cabbage, carrots, etc, and then I turned my back on them. I knew I needed slaw, I just didn't want to actually make it. So, I picked up some prepared kale slaw and was on my way.



The seasoned and sauced BBQ jackfruit come in a neat pouch and the directions on the box say you need only to heat it on the stovetop for 1-2 minutes to warm; that's my kind of lazy ass cooking. So, in the time it took to cut and dress my roll, the jackfruit was ready.


Success! The sammie looked and tasted great.


Next up: chili lime carnitas jackfruit. I knew I had to eat the them in tacos, but when I went food shopping I remembered everything...except the tacos. Argh. Luckily I was able to steal tortilla chips from VM, so what I made up in saving myself from a trip back to the supermarket, I lost in making my taco dreams come true. Not to say that the nachos weren't terrific in their own right- they just weren't tacos. I really enjoyed that you could taste the lime in the carnitas and that they were bite-size pieces instead of the unruly ones you usually find in canned jackfruit. Next time, though, I think I'll try them in a 7-layer dip.


Needless to say, given that Upton's jackfruit is so much better (not to mention easier) than my own, I will never bother trying to make it myself again. I'm a believer!

Oh, and in case you were wondering if I made good use of those adhesive 'staches from the Upton's care package...


We sure did :-)

3 comments:

  1. 89! So cute!

    I've only tried jackfruit once, but it was pretty good. I've noticed the Upton brand, I guess I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love prepping jackfruit! I think your previous effort looked every bit as tasty as the Upton's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 89 should be the spokesmodel and sales would soar.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)